Sunday, July 16, 2017

Week 2 on Pohnpei

This weeks adventures consisted of: hiking up streams in the dark to investigators houses (literally uphill, in water/mud, for 5-10 minutes till we reach their homes), river crossings (while holding a plate of bananas and coconuts in one hand and trying to not get my skirt too wet with the other), losing a croc in knee deep mud (I got it back though), dropping my camera case and SD card reader in the jungle at night (so no pics this week, sorry), getting my Nikes stolen off our front porch, waking up in the middle of the night to tapping on the window above my head (not sure if it was a lizard cuz they make this weird laughing noise but it sounded like a person knocking and it freaked me out), an 80 year old women going off in pohnpeian about how I was a pretty white girl that she could find a husband for (of course I didnt know what was happening or why everyone was laughing until my companion explained it to me later), and finally lots of cute kids hugging me and trying to talk to me and then laughing at me as I just repeat "Ih sese lokaian pohnpei" over and over (that means I dont know how to speak pohnpeian).

We are so incredibly busy though! So many people to teach its hard to keep up with it all! But I see the lord blessing our lives and helping us every step of the way. We have a lot of people on date to be baptized, the hard part is helping them overcome word of wisdom problems, get married, and get them to church...We have one really great investigator that is 19 and she does all her commitments and loves  the gospel. She wants to get baptized but her parents are unsure about it. Shes so funny and sweet! We parked at her house on sunday and walked with her to church. It was 25 minutes both there and walking back, uphill and pouring down rain on the way there (I dont think I dried until I went to bed), and then it was downhill and blistering hot on our walk back. But it was worth it! And it gave me a taste of what all the members have to do each week, and most live further away. 
We just started teaching her 21 year old cousin who is also so sweet and seems so prepared to receive the gospel! Again the problem is whether her family will allow her to be baptized.

We met our new mission president this week, he flew to our Island and held a zone conference. The spirit was so strong! I know that he is supposed to be here and I can tell that great things are to come, its all dependent on our faithfulness and our obedience! 

The language is coming line upon line and precept upon precept. Every day I can say a bit more and can understand a bit more. I teach out of my language packets and I said a mostly pohnpeian prayer in sacrament meeting yesterday so its coming:) 

I love hearing about all this missionary experiences you are all having and I love getting pics so keep sending them!
Ih Poakepoakeiuhk
Sister Milne

No comments:

Post a Comment